Saturday, May 27, 2006

What you leave behind

Well, its the end of a chapter today. Colin and Kristin are moving home to Texas. I went over to Colin's place, which is also my old apartment, to take some food off their hands. While there I picked up a few things that were mine that I had left there like my ironing board and a wooden shelving unit that I had in the kitchen there.

Well it turns out I had a LOT more stuff there than I thought. Between all the food and spices I brought back with me (amusingly some of the spices were ones that was originally mine in first place), I also found my punch bowl, a large serving tray for hors'deurves, a chips/dip tray, the napkin holder, the paper towel dispenser, ice cube trays and an ice cube bucket for the freezer, and various other little things that I hadn't even remembered that I had left there.

Additionally I got several pint glasses and plenty of cleaning supplies and other assorted random things that are useful and that Colin wasn't moving back home with him.

I'm really going to miss both of them. Its funny how time flies. Just four years ago I met Colin in glee club and really got to know him when I bumped into him while shoe shopping in the Providence Place mall. By the end of that fall semester he was practically living at my place because it was far better than his dorm room (he really didn't like his roommate). The next year he moved in with me and later that year he and Kristin started dating. I liked her from the start. Before too long she and I bonded as friends. It worked out well because she was always at the apartment and sometimes it was just the two of us since Colin would be working late at NetOps or on one of his projects. We were able to get to know each other really quickly. The best part about it all was the fact that she was fun to have around. Sometimes someone's significant other can be a pain to have around, especially when they practically move in because they are there so much, but with Kristin, it was just natural. That was a fun year. We'd make dinner, hang out and watch our favorite TV shows together, just the three of us.

The next year we moved into Dean Street with Julian. That year I saw Kristin even more often, if that is even possible. She and I spent even more time just hanging out together on the couch while Colin was off doing whatever he was doing. I saw more of her that year than I did Colin. I got to meet her parents that year and they were very nice and invited me to see the Count Basie orchestra with them. Her parents are an incredible pair and I can see where Kristin gets her joie de vivre.

This past year when I lived in Webster, it was odd not hanging out with either of them all that much. We tried to get together occasionally but they were both busy with their final year and it was hard to get back into Worcester once I'd gone home to Webster. Thankfully I've been able to spend a bunch of time with them since moving into the Condo and as their schedules winded down. It culminated in the dinner party I hosted for them and friends and family after Kristin's bacalaureat celebration. It was such a fun time and I loved playing host.

Today I said goodbye and we had a big group hug with the three of us. They both fly back to Texas and this will likely be the last time I see them until the wedding next April. I will miss them both dearly. At least these days its a lot easier to stay in touch with people than ever so I have no worries that this is the end of us as friends.

0 comments: