Sunday, February 17, 2008

The beauty of it all

So I both like and don't like flying. What I don't like is turbulence and the idea that artificial thrust and aerodynamic pieces of metal are the only think keeping the plane above ground. From time to time I think that the idea of standing against gravity is just sheer lunacy.

On the other hand, when the plane is calmly soaring at its cruising altitude, it can be a thing of utter peace and beauty. I always prefer a window seat when possible when flying; I have since I was a child. The wonderment of looking out the window at the world below has never diminished.

I used to go up to my dad's offices in the various buildings he worked at and I would look out at the world below and look at all the people below and how they looked like ants. The cars looked like toys. Flying above the world is even more amazing.

Currently I'm flying over mountains and plains that are just covered completely in snow. The only signs of civilization are the occasional road that you can barely notice. It's amazing to just see rolling plains of white as far as the eye can see, which is pretty far from this vantage point.

It's also amazing to see the horizon and see it bend around in a circle. It truly makes you appreciate how big and round this planet is. The sun is beginning to set and it is just beautiful. Looking down at the ever changing landscape just makes you pause and appreciate the beauty of it all.

0 comments: