Tuesday, September 20, 2005

"... it's going to be a fun time..."

''We have a high level of confidence, and it's going to be a fun time," said Kris Mineau, president of the Massachusetts Family Institute, a group leading the initiative effort. ''It will energize our base. . . . Our strategy is to let the people vote." [Link]

The above quote is in response to the signature drive effort needed to put a question on the ballot to define marriage as one man and one woman and make same-sex marriages illegal again.

I'm glad to know that the wonderful people at the MFI think its going to be fun to take away my ability to eventually marry the man I fall in love with and wish to make a family with. I'm glad to know that its fun to push the rhetoric to such a fever pitch that it demonizes gays and lesbians. I hope they still think its fun when their hate spurs someone to take a stronger, more extreme approach to the issue and maybe just do a little bit of physical intimidation of gays or worse.

If this is their brand of fun I'm very glad I have no part of it. That a religion that preaches tolerance and love of your neighbor could be so cold and hurtful is astonishing. What little respect I had for the Christian faith is rapidly diminishing.

0 comments: