Thursday, July 31, 2003

The Catholic Church

Bear with me this is a long post.


I am so sick and tired of the Catholic Church. It is such a hypocritical organization. It has completely lost sight of the spirituality it possibly once tried to convey. The Vatican has just unleashed a document stating that all Bishops should lobby their representatives hard to oppose all pro gay marriage/adoption legislation. What right do they have to do this, to say this? I hate how they pick and choose the verses of the Bible that they quote to prove their point.

Here's a section of a transcript of the West Wing where President Bartlett chews out a Dr. Laura-a-like.

POTUS = Pres. of the US
JJ = Dr. Jenna Jones - the Dr. Laura character

POTUS: Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality "an abomination".

JJ: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President, the Bible does.

POTUS: Yes, it does. Leviticus.

JJ: Eighteen, twenty-two.

POTUS: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned by Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important, 'cause we've got a lot of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean, Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made of two different threads? Think about those questions, will you?

There are so many allegories that are completely out of place with today's society that have been left by the wayside and they politely forget those. When's the last time you heard the "woman obey thy husband" reading at a wedding?

I believe in an over-riding power, I believe in a soul, I believe in ascension to another level of being, but I don't see why who I have sex with matters. I live my life on the belief that when my life is over, if there is some judgment, I will be judged on how I treated my fellow man, because in the end that affects everything you do.