Thursday, July 24, 2003

The Power of Words

How is it that when someone uses a term like "fag" in a sentence, and I state that I, as a gay man, find that term offensive, somehow I am the bad guy. I'm told that I'm the one who needs to take things less seriously and relax and not let it bother me.

Why does no one think that its the fault of the person who decides to knowingly use a word that is offensive and derogatory. I've been told that I need to "learn to ignore the things that don't matter." The point is that it does matter, and people need to learn to be considerate of those around them.

I think it boils down to the culture of no-responsibility that we have these days. No one feels that they should be blamed for anything. If something happens because they use a tool in the wrong way, well then the manufacturer is at fault for not considering the million ways people could misuse things and not putting a disclaimer. If someone says something that offends someone, its not their fault, its the fault of the person who had the nerve to be offended by it.

I can understand that some people take things too seriously but I have made one and only one request, that the term "fag" and "faggot" not be used in any way shape or form. Apparently that's too much to ask.