Sunday, April 30, 2006

Random ramblings...

The lovely bouquet of flowers that my New Voices stage manager got me had mostly died so I replaced them. I've really gotten to like having fresh flowers on my kitchen bar counter. It really adds a nice look to the place. I was thinking maybe of getting Tulips but now that we're in late spring and post-easter they seem to be completely out of season. When looking over the various flowers I was looking for ones that wouldn't look like a bunch of ramdom leaves and petals. Roses are nice but they are a bit over done and I'll leave that for when some cute boy gets them for me (so I guess I can count out getting roses anytime soon :-P ). I decided to get Lilies.

I got two different sets, one orange and red and the other white. They look very lovely and fairly simple and elegant. The problem is forgetting how much scents can get tied to memories. I went to settle down for the eavening and I got a big whiff of the lillies and I sort of stopped in my tracks. You see I forgot that anytime I smell lillies now I think of my Nana. They were her favorite flower. More to the point though is that I remember my Nana's wake. There were lillies everywhere. The smell of them was almost over-powering in the funeral home.
To this day I cannot smell them without thinking of Nana, without remembering the wake. I wonder if at any point in my future I'll ever be able to smell them without that connection. Who knows? Its just been so long since the last time I smelled lillies that the mental association really threw me this time around.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gram feels that way whenever I get her a Gardenia plant..she thinks of my dad! You might like Dendrobium Orchids...they are kind of neat to display!

Aunt Honey..

it was great to see you the other night!