Thursday, September 25, 2003

I hate stupid people

I have been unable to do much of the work I normally do for the past two days due to the fact that electricians have been having a tendancy to cut my power in my office. They are working on splitting up the almost completely unused Fuller Auditorium Preperation Room next to my office, and since my office was originally created by splitting it off from that room (apparently it really used to be huge) I share several electrical circuits with it.

In the early morning my lab testing area was shut down because they went to work on some of the power. No warning, no nothing. Just 8 machines suddenly powering down in the middle of whatever they were doing. I explained to the guy, after he finally turned the power back on, that there were other offices to consider when shutting off a circuit. He agreed he'd work on the circuit the next morning so I'd shut off the power after I left work. I figure everything is fine now.

Nope.

I get back from my weekly ops meeting to find that mine and my co-worker's (Chris) machines were all powered down due to the fact that they had tripped another circuit breaker. We got it turned on and I was hoping we finally had an understanding about things.

Nope.

Today while Chris and I were out trying to fix things over in Washburn, we get a call from Andy (another co-worker) that they are planning to shut off the power in my room and Chris' room and we better get back here to shut off our things so they would get powered down safely. Add to this that the fact that the outlets weren't labeled right so they ended up just flicking off any circuit they thought was right. I wonder how many other systems they brought down accidentally. Ugh...

So at the moment I can't really do a damned thing until I can be sure that I'm not going to lose power. I hate stupid people. A little planning and forethought go a long way.