Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Always a groomsman?

It’s not so much that I’m always in a wedding as simply that I’ve had so many of them over the years.

I just recently returned from a trip to Florida to actually officiate a wedding (more to come in a later post) and I got to thinking about just how many weddings I’ve attended or been in over the years.

My calendar really only goes back to 2003 so we’ll start there, although there were a handful of weddings during college and immediately afterwards (most notably both my parents)

  • 2003 – 2 Weddings
  • 2004 – 4 Weddings
  • 2005 – 3 Weddings – Wedding party and sang in one of them.
  • 2006 – 4 Weddings – Two were on the same day.  Sang in one of them.
  • 2007 – 4 Weddings – Wedding party in three of them, two were travel weddings, sang in one of them, and there was a 5th wedding that I couldn’t attend because it was the same day as one of the four I went to.
  • 2008 – 5 Weddings – Groomsman in one of them
  • 2009 – 3 Weddings – Day of Coordinator in one of them, Travel for two of them
  • 2010 – 1 Wedding (so far) – Officiant and travel for the one.

Statistics:
  • 26 weddings in 8 years
  • An average of 3.25 per year
  • Groomsman/Usher: 5 times
  • Singing: 2 times
  • Air travel: 3 times
  • Closest location: Worcester, MA
  • Farthest location: Fayetteville, Texas

Now the amusing thing is that I mention this to friends of mine and they comment that they have similar numbers or possibly a few less, but they don’t realize until I point it out to them that they have as many weddings as a couple as I do single.

We’ll see if this year stays at 1 or if I’ll get another one soon.  I don’t think I have anyone else getting married soon, so we’ll see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this post requires a follow up post about your trials and tribulations at attempts to become the groom.

TC said...

At whatever time that happens, I'll do a followup post :)