Wednesday, November 22, 2006

In full bloom

Last year at Christmas I was at my Grandmother's and I got two cuttings of Christmas cactus. One was I think 2 links long, and the other 3 links. I planted them and over the course of the year they grew a lot. There's now at least 20 links in each of the pots. Its to the point that I really should re-pot them since I can see the roots coming up in the soil.

I've been a bit remiss lately in watering my plants so today I made extra sure to water them and I noted new leaf buds coming out of the links, which has happened at least once every month or so since I've had them here at the condo. Upon closer inspection I realized that these were different. These were round and oval instead of the flat growth of a leaf. As it turns out, my cactus is flowering! This is the third plant that I've gotten to flower since moving into the loft. The first was the moonflower vine (which unfortunately has since been thrown out - it was dying and the soil was really bad), the second was my aloe plant, and now my Christmas cactus is flowering. I don't know where my green thumb came from, but I like it!

1 comments:

Christine said...

You must get your green thumb from Grammy - she can make things grow just by sticking a pencil in them! hahaha - enjoy your Christmas cactus! :-) Keke

PS - thank you so much for your kind words yesterday - i know they were heartfelt and I appreciate it more than you know! Love you Tommy!!