Sunday, August 20, 2006

Thunder and Lighting

Its amazing. I was tired enough that I was going to crawl into bed at about 7:30 pm tonight and then just as I'm settling in I see the beginning flashes and at that point I know. It's a thunderstorm. At this point I'm wide awake and there's no thoughts about sleeping, not at least until the storm gets a bit further away.

Now I know what you might be thinking, and you'd probably be wrong. I'm not up because I can't sleep in a thunderstorm, but because I don't want to. Ever since I was a kid I've loved the rain and especially thunderstorms. I don't know what it is but there's something to them that is just incredible. This one is a particularly loud, flashy one. There's even been some actual strike lightening as opposed to the usual cloud light show.

Personally I don't care for the single loud boom, as anyone who knows me will tell you I spook easily and will jump at any loud or sudden noise, but I prefer the thunder that is more of a peal or a tear. The ones that are loud enough to show they are close but take a good 2-3 seconds to finish.

I estimate that I'll be up for at least another 20 minutes enoughing the sound of the rain on the roof and the flashes of lightening and the slowly reducing sound of the thunder.

Oh and before you think I'm crazy to be typing away at my computer during a thunderstorm, rest assured I'm on my laptop away from any plugs or electrical cords. I'm on pure battery power at the moment. :)

0 comments: