Thursday, January 22, 2004

Parting is such sweet sorrow

This has been a really terrible week. I had to say goodbye to several friends this week. Four people in my department have been layed off as of Tuesday. Another was layed off yesterday, although I didn't find out until today. Its one thing to wish someone well as they leave to move on to bigger and better things or simply something different, its another when you say goodbye because there's no other choice since they were told to leave. I have been thoroughly drained by this week. I have been nervous and jumpy, even though I was fairly confident that I wasn't going to be layed off... simply the atmosphere of the school was enough to put me on edge. You start seeing the worst around every corner. I swear my heart skipped a beat when my director came around the corner near my office. He was simply talking to someone in the office across from mine as he often does, but that didn't stop me from worrying.

Thankfully the president of the college came out and stated that the "reduction in force is completed." I don't think I quite knew my level of stress until I felt portions of it melt away as I read the e-mail. This has to be one of the most stressful things I have ever had the mispleasure of experiencing. I feel for those who in the past few years have had to deal with many rounds of layoffs with no end in sight. I don't even want to think about what those who did get laid off must have gone through. I certainly hope the economy gets better soon... this is not a fun place to be right now.