Saturday, August 23, 2003

Ugh...

This is going to be the week from hell... By week I mean the period of time from 8/18 - 8/29. See in my opinion a week doesn't end until you have a weekend, and since I'm working today 8:30am-whenever I'm done and similar for tomorrow on sunday I don't get a weekend until Labor Day Weekend on August 30. The reason I'm doing this is cuz its NSO, or New Student Orientation, weekend, and most of the IT staff have to work to day to make sure all the new freshman have accounts and passwords and connect their machines up to the domain.

This year we have the added bonus of getting hit with Nachi virus 2 days before NSO so I've been here late every night since then, 1:30am wed. night/thurs. morning and 11:30 friday night.

We were pretty much secured from the virus after the Blaster virus, but since we are an academic institution we have to deal with things that corporations probably wouldn't have to. We have to deal with students coming in and plugging in machines that are virus infested inside our network, behind our firewalls, inside our defenses. The good news that we are pretty much fully patched at this point, so we shouldn't be vulnerable to further attackes based on the same exploit. All I can say is that I will sleeping soundly next saturday.

Well that's all for now.